Friday, May 7, 2010

OUCH TFL!

So as it turned out, I didn't need an ounce of guilt about skipping Wednesday's speedwork run. It was cancelled due to thunderstorms in the area. I attended the Thursday clinic and headed out for the run with the group. An easy night of fartleks was in the plans. I ran about 1.5k and realized this TFL (tensor fascia latae - a muscle on the side of the hip, just behind your hip bone) was NOT happy. My right TFL is an angry, angry little fellow.

So, I pulled out and walked back and went to yoga. There was a restorative yoga class starting and it's slow, gentle, recuperative pace was what I probably needed. This is frustrating and scary - especially this close to the marathon. But, my take on it is that everything happens for a reason. Obviously I am having these issues for a reason and need to work through them for a reason. And the reason is? I don't know - but there is something to learn from every set-back, right?

Ann, our yoga studio owner and a past Olympic track and field athlete, advised me to not run at all until race day. Do yoga, visit the chiropractor (he does ART and trigenics, laser and ultrasound on me), ice, rest and restore. That is the idea for the next week. It's HARD, because I feel SOFT! But it's ok and it's necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank-you for you comment on my blog!